What is Christian Service Learning?
LIFE AT MERCY
Christian Service Learning
The concept of Christian means that the Gospel informs the Service Learning. Jesus said ‘The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, for he has appointed me to bring Good News to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim that the oppressed will be set free’ (LUKE 4:18). The term Service occurs in the context of the spirit of the Gospel, where hours are undertaken for the benefit of an individual or community for no financial reward. The Service work usually fits into the categories of welfare, empowerment or advocacy. Most importantly, students learn from the experiences they have in performing the Service work. Students learn about social justice issues, and most importantly about kindness, compassion and empathy.
Why is it compulsory for students to complete the Christian Service Learning Program?
It forms an important part of Catholic schools’ curriculum. Christian Service Learning is designed to enable students to grow from a Christian faith perspective. Christian Service Learning is a flexible student-centred programme that provides students with the opportunity to develop empathy, compassion and a sense of justice through meaningful and active citizenship. This is an important part of being a student at a Catholic school.
Christian Service Learning is designed to enable students to grow from a Christian faith perspective.
What are the advantages of Service involvement?
- Service can be a means of faith formation in the life of the one who serves.
- Service builds relationships.
- Service puts into practise the theology studied in class.
- Service empowers students, building resilience, empathy and an understanding of social justice issues.
- Students are exposed to possible career opportunities and establish a basis for lifelong service.
- Service Learning is an Endorsed Program in Year Ten and Year Eleven. It has WACE recognition and is equal to one unit. Service as well as the hours students have done appears on the student’s Statement of Results.
- We find our way closer to Jesus through Service.
For more information, please see the document below.